The IRS has tightened its enforcement of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (“FATCA”). FATCA was enacted in 2010 by Congress to target non-compliance by U.S. taxpayers using foreign accounts. FATCA requires foreign financial institutions (FFIs), i.e., foreign banks, to
Last week Trinidad and Tobago and the United States signed an agreement to facilitate automatic exchange of information under the US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). FATCA, enacted by the US Congress in 2010, is intended to ensure that
Article Discusses Termination of Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) and the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures (SFCP)
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) currently offers non-compliant US taxpayers several different relief programs in which to report foreign assets and/or income and become compliant with US rules related to the disclosure of foreign assets. One option is the Offshore
Last week, on July 28, 2016, the United States Department of Justice announced an indictment against Lacy Doyle for obstructing the administration of tax laws and filing false foreign bank account report (FBARs). Doyle was arrested in New York. In
The Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedure (SFCP) was “born” two years old. Two years ago the IRS publicly announced the SFCP, which has been used by many non-compliant US taxpayers with the disclosure of foreign assets. SFCP has two sub-programs: one
We have had many clients with unreported foreign mutual funds. As a result, it is time to revisit the unfavorable topic of foreign mutual funds as a “Passive Foreign Investment Companies” (PFICs), which is often a surprise to our clients. U.S.
India and the US have agreed to again enhance collaboration on tackling offshore tax evasion and increase cooperation in sharing of cross-border tax information after the United States Treasury and India’s Ministry of Finance met last week. Following the conclusion
Internal Revenue Service again issues annual reminder to US persons to report foreign accounts and foreign income
The Internal Revenue Service recently once again issued its annual reminder to US persons to report foreign accounts and foreign income. The reminders issued because of the widespread confusion and misunderstanding that exists among most US persons with foreign assets.
The U.S. Justice Department is reviewing reports about the offshore financial arrangements of global politicians and public figures based on 11.5 million leaked files from Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca, a department spokesman said yesterday. The department is determining whether
Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedure’s New Revisions to Streamlined Domestic Offshore Procedures (SDOP)
In the midst of tough tax season, many U.S taxpayers are unfortunately surprised to discover that they have a U.S. tax reporting obligation on financial accounts or assets held overseas. Once they discover their tax and reporting obligation, there are
- Asset Protection Against Risks (287)
- Defending and Planning Against Taxes (271)
- Elder Law (7)
- Estate Planning and Probate (109)
- Minimizing New Jersey Death Taxes (63)
- Probate of an Estate (25)
- Special Needs Planning (19)
- Uncategorized (1)
- New FATCA Enforcement Expected
- Trinidad and Tobago and the United States sign new agreement to exchange of information under FATCA
- Article Discusses Termination of Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) and the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures (SFCP)
- NY Art Consultant Indicted for Filing False Tax Returns and Failing to File FBARs
- Happy Birthday Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedure!
- Foreign mutual funds = Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs)?
- India and the US have agreed to collaborate on offshore tax evasion
- Internal Revenue Service again issues annual reminder to US persons to report foreign accounts and foreign income